Location: INGUAT (Instituto Guatemalteco de Turismo) building – 7a. Ave. 1-17, Zone 4 – First Floor
Event: Visit of Social Security and Federal Benefits representative
Representatives from the Regional Federal Benefits Unit (Costa Rica) will offer services for beneficiaries or individuals with questions about U.S. Social Security and other federal benefit services, on July 9, 10, and 11; from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Services will be provided in a walk-in basis; no appointment is necessary (we will appreciate your patience).
Actions to take: Beneficiaries residing in Guatemala must complete their annual or bi-annual report to the Social Security Administration and you can complete the form at this event.
If you require one of the following services, please submit legible copies of all documents:
- Applying for Social Security Benefits: Bring originals and copies of the following (for all applicants): Birth Certificate or passport. Additionally, bring marriage and/or death certificates if applying for auxiliary benefits or survivor’s benefits.
- SSA Proof of Life Study: In 2018, SSA mailed the questionnaire to beneficiaries receiving their own benefits whose social security number ended in 00-49 and beneficiaries over the age of 90. Please bring copy of your passport and a completed SSA-7162
- Social Security Number Card Application: Bring a copy of your valid U.S. passport, Certificate of Birth Abroad or original birth certificate and completed form SS-5FS.
- Change of Address for Social Security: Bring your current passport.
- Medicare Part B Enrollment/Cancellation: To enroll in Medicare, you should complete and sign this CMS-40B and to cancel your enrollment please complete and sign this CMS-2690
The best way to contact the Regional Federal Benefits Unit is by using their online form: http://cr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/fbu-inquiry-form/
To learn more about the services offered by the Regional Federal Benefits Unit visit: https://cr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/
- U.S. Embassy Guatemala City https://gt.usembassy.gov/
- Tel. (502) 2326-4000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Guatemala Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter