Location: Real Intercontinental Hotel (14 Calle 2-51, Zona 10, Guatemala) – Caoba Room
Event: Visit of Social Security and Federal Benefits Representatives
Representatives from the Regional Federal Benefits Unit, located in San Jose, Costa Rica, will visit Guatemala from September 3 to 6, 2019 to provide services to beneficiaries and answer questions about U.S. Social Security and other federal benefit services.
Services will be provided on a walk-in basis from 08:00 a.m. to 04:00 p.m. during the visit days, from Tuesday to Thursday; and from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. on Friday; no appointment is necessary.
Actions to take: Beneficiaries residing in Guatemala must submit their annual or bi-annual report to the Social Security Administration, and you can complete the form at this event.
Please submit legible copies of all documents if you require one of the following services:
– Applying for Social Security Benefits: Bring the original and a copy of the following (for all applicants): birth certificate or passport. Additionally, bring marriage and/or death certificates if applying for auxiliary benefits or survivor’s benefits.
– SSA Proof of Life Study: In 2018, SSA mailed a questionnaire to beneficiaries receiving their own benefits whose social security number ended in 00-49 and beneficiaries over the age of 90. Please bring a copy of your passport and a completed SSA-7162 if your benefits have been suspended for not fulfilling this requirement.
– Social Security Number Card Application: Bring a copy of your valid U.S. passport, Certificate of Birth Abroad, or original birth certificate and completed form SS-5FS.
– Change of Address for Social Security: Bring your current passport.
– Medicare Part B Enrollment/Cancellation: To enroll in Medicare, you should complete and sign this form CMS-40B and to cancel your enrollment please complete and sign this form CMS-2690
To learn more about the services offered by the Regional Federal Benefits Unit visit: https://cr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/
The best way to contact the Regional Federal Benefits Unit is by using their online form: http://cr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/fbu-inquiry-form/
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444