Health Alert – REVISED: Updated Requirements for Travel to Guatemala
Location: Guatemala, countrywide
Event: The Government of Guatemala has temporarily rescinded the changes to entry requirements that were publicized on December 23, 2021.
The following protocols remain in effect:
All passengers 10 years of age and over arriving in Guatemala by air and land are required to obtain one of the following:
- A negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test within 72 hours prior to check-in at the airport or arrival at the land border; or
- If you have recovered from COVID-19 in the past three months, a medical certificate from the healthcare facility where you received treatment showing evidence of the date of your diagnosis, and confirmation of your recovery; or
- Evidence that you have received a complete two-dose COVID-19 vaccination course (or single dose of Johnson & Johnson), with the final dose being administered at least two weeks before arrival in Guatemala.
Per the public announcement from the Guatemalan Ministry of Health, we understand that new entry requirements are proposed to go into effect on January 3, 2022, to include both a complete two-dose vaccination course (or single dose for Johnson & Johnson) AND a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test. We will provide further guidance as soon as the details are released.
We encourage all persons who intend to travel to Guatemala on or after January 3, 2022, and who are vaccine-eligible, to get vaccinated so that their travel plans are not impacted by any upcoming change to Guatemala’s entry policy.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information on COVID-19.
- For information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for country-specific information related to COVID-19.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions, including potential COVID-19 vaccine or testing requirements for countries you are transiting through.
- Visit the U.S. Embassy Guatemala webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Guatemala.
U.S. Embassy Guatemala City, Guatemala
Phone: (502) 2326-4000
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates