Nonimmigrant Visas Information

The Department of State acknowledges the International Civil Aviation Authority Organization (ICAO) deadline, requiring all travelers have a machine readable passport by November 24, 2015. Please note that under U.S. law a machine readable passport is NOT required for visa issuing purposes. So long as an applicant presents a valid passport, a visa can be placed in it.

To apply for a visa, please visit USTraveldocs.

Visa Renewal guidelines have changed, please read below regarding the Renewal of B1/B2 visas for the updated requirements.

Note: Eyeglasses must NOT be worn in a photo provided for a visa application. Only in rare circumstances when eyeglasses cannot be removed for medical reasons can they be worn in visa application photos.

Location and Contact Information

The U.S. Embassy in Guatemala is located at the following address:

U.S. Embassy, Guatemala City
Avenida Reforma 7-01, Zona 10
Guatemala Ciudad, Guatemala
Telephone: (502) 2326-4000
Fax: (502) 2326-4654

Visa Appointments

Current wait time for nonimmigrant visas

Interviews are conducted Monday through Friday by appointment only.

Visa Fees

The following fees must be paid before making a visa appointment:

Tourist, Business, Transit, Crew Member, Student, Exchange Visitor,
and Journalist visas (B1, B2, C1, D, F, M, J, I)…………..$160

Petition-Based visas (H, L, O, P, Q and R)………………….$190

Fiancé(e) visas (K)……………………………………………………….$265

Some applicants may need to pay an additional reciprocity fee based on the class of visa and country of nationality. These fees may be paid in cash, check, or credit card after the visa has been approved.


In order to apply for a U. S. nonimmigrant visa, please follow the steps below:

Step 1: Complete the DS-160 online application and print the confirmation sheet (barcode) for each applicant

Step 2: Pay the visa fee. You can pay the fee in cash at Banrural in Guatemala. You can also pay the fee online.

Step 3: Schedule your appointment. In order to schedule an appointment, you must have a passport valid for travel to the United States, your fee payment receipt, and your DS-160 confirmation page. You can schedule an appointment with our call center at 2376-1978. You can also schedule an appointment online.

Step 4: Visit the U.S. Embassy on the date and time of your visa interview

Step 5: If your visa is approved, the visa will be sent to your designated location selected when you scheduled your appointment. You must bring the password that you received at the embassy, as well as a copy of your DPI.

Certain applicants may be qualified to apply under the personal appearance waiver program without a visa interview. Qualified applicants can simply mail the appropriate documentation to the Embassy.


The applicant is 80 or older and:

  • Is a citizen or resident of Guatemala
  • Was not previously refused a visa of any category
  • Has not had a previous visa lost, stolen or revoked
  • Has never been arrested or convicted of a crime, deported from the United States, denied entry to the United States, or has had any other problems or difficulties with U.S. Customs and Border Patrol when attempting to enter the United States.
  • Does not plan to travel within the following two weeks

Important note: If the applicant does not qualify for the above mentioned, he or she will be required to schedule an appointment and attend an interview at the U.S. Embassy.


Applicants who meet the requirements listed above can drop off their documents following these steps:

Step 1: Complete the DS-160 online application and print the confirmation sheet (barcode) for each applicant.

Step 2: Pay the visa fee. You can pay the fee in cash at Banrural in Guatemala. You can also pay the fee online.

Step 3: Register an account on this webpage. Follow the steps to schedule an interview. Answer the questions carefully. If you qualify for drop-box submission, you will receive a drop-box submission letter containing a document checklist.

Step 4: Deliver your documents at one of our Cargo Expreso agencies.

Step 5: If additional information is needed to complete processing of your case, you will be informed by email. If your application is approved, your passport and visa will be delivered for pickup to your selected Document Collection center you specified when you scheduled your interview. Details on passport delivery are available on this webpage

The U.S. visa application process is the same whether you are applying for the first time or renewing your visa, although some applicants may not need an interview. You may use your visa even when the passport that contains it expires. In this case, you can travel with the valid visa in the expired passport, as long as you also bring your new, unexpired passport as well.

You may be eligible for a visa renewal appointment if you meet the following criteria:

  • I wish to renew a full-validity B1/B2 (business/tourism) visa, which was issued for 10 years for multiple entries.
  • My B1/B2 visa is currently valid or expired fewer than 12 months ago.
  • I am a citizen and/ resident of Guatemala.
  • My last visa was not canceled or revoked.
  • My last visa—valid or expired—has never been lost or stolen.
  • Everyone applying for a visa with me also meets the same criteria.
  • I do not have immediate travel plans.

You are not eligible for a visa renewal appointment if you meet any of the following criteria:

  • You have never had a U.S. visa.
  • You have a U.S. visa that expired more than 48 months ago.
  • Your last valid visa was cancelled or revoked.
  • You are not normally resident in Guatemala.
  • You lost your previous passport that had a valid or expired U.S. visa.
  • You have immediate travel plans.

Supporting Documentation

Bring the following documents to the Embassy on the day of your appointment:

  • A current, valid passport
  • Any passports containing previously-issued U.S. visas
  • As applicable, Form I-797 (H and L work visas), Form I-20 (F and M student visas), Form DS-2019 (J exchange visitor visa)

All applicants should bring:

Additional required documents:

  • If you are traveling as a student on an F, M, or J visa, you must bring an approved I-20 or DS-2019 form from your U.S. school or program, a SEVIS fee receipt (if applicable), and proof that you or your sponsor have sufficient funds to cover your educational expenses
  • If you will be working or performing in the US with an H, L, O, P, R, or Q visa, you must bring an approved petition and any supporting documentation.
  • If you are traveling as a domestic employee on a B1 visa, you must bring a contract that complies with U.S. labor laws. You can find an example of such a contract here (PDF 244 KB).
  • A crew member serving onboard a sea vessel or aircraft with a C1/D visa should bring a current work contract
  • If you are traveling for medical treatment, you should bring a medical diagnosis from a local physician explaining the nature of your ailment and why you require treatment in the U.S., a letter from a physician or medical facility in the U.S. expressing willingness to treat this specific ailment, and a statement of financial responsibility and proof of ability to pay from the individuals or organization paying for your medical expenses
  • For more information about the types of visas and their requirements, visit this page.

Consular officers look at each application individually and consider professional, social, cultural and other factors during adjudication. Consular officers may look at your specific intentions, family situation, and your long-range plans and prospects within your country of residence. Other documents that are often useful include:

  • Old passports
  • Bank statements
  • Car titles and registration
  • Birth and marriage certificates
  • Credentials (for students or professionals)
  • Criminal/court records pertaining to any arrest or conviction
  • Documents regarding your purpose of travel

The following items are not permitted within the Embassy:

  • Battery-operated or electronic devices such as mobile phones, digital diaries, pagers, cameras, audio/video cassettes, compact discs, MP3s, floppy disks, laptops, or portable music players
  • Oversized bags
  • Food items
  • Cigarettes, cigars, match boxes, lighters
  • Sharp objects such as scissors, pen knives or nail files
  • Weapons or explosive materials of any kind


Non-related persons traveling together for the purpose of participating in a particular event, function or training should schedule a group appointment. Examples include, but are not limited to: sporting events, parades, trade shows, cultural events, religious events, workshops, and conferences. These individuals must schedule an interview through the group interview procedure. Groups that do not use the group procedure and schedule as individuals will not be able to have their interview on their scheduled interview day. Information on scheduling a group appointment can be found here.

Artists and Performers

Those who have been invited to the U.S. to perform, entertain, or participate in a cultural event must obtain a P visa. In order to be considered under this classification, the inviting organization in the U.S. must file Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker, with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Once approved, the organization is sent a notice of approval, Form I-797. Once the prospective performer is listed on the I-797, he or she can schedule a group appointment and come to the Embassy for an interview.

Performers, artisans, and entertainers who do not follow this process will not be permitted to have their interview on their scheduled interview day.

H2 Temporary Workers

Temporary and seasonal workers traveling on H2 visas should schedule a group appointment. Please include the petition information and a list of workers traveling on the petition.


If you have an unforeseen travel need you may qualify for an expedited appointment. The following purposes of travel are considered for expedited appointments:


  • Unforeseen travel requirements in support of business.
  • Other cases that may involve travelers going to sports/media events and/or professional conferences or trainings.

Medical Emergency:

  • You need to obtain urgent medical care in the U.S.
  • You need to accompany an immediate family member who requires urgent medical care. (Immediate family members include spouse, mother, father, brother, sister, or child).
  • An immediate family member in the U.S. has a serious medical condition and requires your presence urgently

Study, work of exchange visitor visa:

  • You need to apply for a student or exchange visitor visa and your appointment date is after the beginning of your classes or exchange program.
  • You recently received your I-797 approval notice and the petitioner requires your immediate presence.

Other emergencies:

  • For example, appearance in a U.S. court
  • Attendance at a funeral in the U.S.

To apply for an emergency appointment:

Step 1: Complete the DS-160 online application and print the confirmation sheet (barcode) for each applicant.

Step 2: Pay the visa fee. You can pay the fee in cash at Banrural in Guatemala. You can also pay the fee online.

Step 3: Schedule an appointment for the earliest available date. At the time you schedule your appointment, you will see an onscreen message showing the earliest available appointment date, which includes emergency appointments. If you wish to proceed with requesting an emergency appointment, then complete the Expedited Request Form or contact the call center to request assistance. Please be sure to note the type of urgency you believe qualifies you for an emergency appointment. Once you have submitted your request, please wait for a response from the Embassy, which will arrive via email.

Step 4: If the Embassy approves your request then you will receive an email inviting you to schedule your emergency appointment online. Please understand that the call center cannot schedule your emergency appointment for you, but agents are able to assist you if questions arise.

If your passport containing a U.S. visa has been lost or stolen in Guatemala, you must report the loss or theft to the Public Ministry or the Guatemala National Police as soon as possible. The police or Public Ministry will issue a report documenting the loss or theft. A copy of this report, including your full name and date of birth, must be sent to or faxed to (502)-2326-4674 as soon as possible. If the loss or theft took place abroad, you will also need to submit in this same email a copy of the report you filed in that country.

As soon as the Consular Section receives this report, the visa will be reported as lost/stolen in U.S. Government databases, which will alert officials at all ports of entry into the United States. Once the visa has been reported lost/stolen, neither you nor anyone else will be able to use it again in the event that your passport is subsequently found. If you wish to obtain another visa, you will need to reapply and bring a copy of the previously submitted police report to your interview appointment.