Weather Alert: Hurricane Lisa passing over Northern Guatemala on November 2-3, 2022 (November 2, 2022)
Event: Per the National Hurricane Center, Hurricane Lisa is expected to pass over Northern Guatemala on Wednesday November 2, 2022, and Thursday, November 3, 2022. The storm is likely to lead to heavy rains, which could cause life-threatening flash floods and mudslides, especially in areas of mountainous terrain. Tropical-force-winds are also possible. The track and evolution of Hurricane Lisa can be monitored via https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/.
When traveling in Guatemala, please follow the suggested actions to take listed below as the threat of extreme weather and natural disasters can impact road conditions at any time, particularly during the rainy season.
If you need emergency assistance, Guatemala has a dedicated tourism assistance program (called PROATUR) whose sole mission is to assist and protect foreign tourists in Guatemala. Their emergency assistance call center – staffed with Spanish and English speakers – may be contacted 24/7 by calling 1500 or (502) 2290-2800.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media as well as the websites of CONRED(Coordinadora Nacional para la Reducción de Desastres), INSIVUMEH (Instituto Nacional de Sismología, Vulcanología, Meteorología e Hidrología), and PROVIAL (La Dirección General de Protección y Seguridad Vial) for updated weather, road, and hazard information.
- Avoid traveling while heavy rains occur as roads can quickly become extremely unsafe.
- Cautiously use navigation applicationsthat provide directions as certain detours or alternate routes from main roads and highways can lead to unsafe areas or roads affected by flooding or landslides.
- Prepare an emergency supply kit (gov).
- Notify friends and family of upcoming travel plans and let them know you are safe.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
U.S. Embassy Guatemala City, Guatemala
Phone: (502) 2326-4000
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Guatemala Country Information and Travel Advisory Page
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter