Weather Alert – U. S. Embassy Guatemala City, Guatemala
Location: Guatemala, country wide.
POTENTIAL TROPICAL STORM FORECAST: A weather system currently developing in the Caribbean is forecast to strengthen over the weekend into a tropical depression or tropical storm, bringing heavy rainfall over an area extending from northeastern Nicaragua to eastern Guatemala.
Guatemala is expecting over 6 to 10 inches of rainfall (152 to 254 mm) across east central areas, with maximum amounts of 14 to 20 inches (356 to 508 mm) in the eastern tip of Guatemala, potentially exacerbating flooding and bringing new flood threats to areas already affected by Tropical Storm Eta.
Actions to Take:
- Visit CONRED (Coordinadora Nacional para la Reducción de Desastres) and INSIVUMEH (Instituto Nacional de Sismología, Vulcanología, Meteorología e Hidrología) websites for updated weather and hazard information.
- Avoid traveling while heavy rains occur as roads can quickly become extremely unsafe.
- Navigation devices and applications that provide directions and traffic and route suggestions should be used with caution as certain detours or alternate routes from main roads and highways can lead to unsafe areas or roads affected by flooding or landslides.
- U.S. Embassy Guatemala City
Tel. (502) 2326-4000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Guatemala Country Information
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter