Location: Sacatepequez, Chimaltenango and Guatemala City (La Aurora International Airport)
Event: On Sunday, June 3, Fuego Volcano erupted for the second time in 2018, with the strongest registered eruption in the past several years. The new eruption has generated a fast-moving current of hot gas and volcanic matter in the direction of the city.
The Guatemalan governmental agency for natural disasters (CONRED) recommends that tourists should not attempt to hike the volcano.
Due to the volcanic ash La Aurora International Airport was closed on June 3 at 2:15PM and will remain closed until further notice, depending on the ashes and the direction of the winds.
Embassy Operations: currently Embassy Operations have not been affected.
Actions to Take: CONRED recommendations in case of falling ashes
- Cover your eyes, mouth and nose
- Cover food and potable water storage containers
- If you have respiratory problems seek medical attention
- Once the ashes stop falling, clean your rooftops to avoid additional damage
- Follow the instructions of local authorities
- U.S. Embassy Guatemala City https://gt.usembassy.gov/
- Tel. (502) 2326-4000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Guatemala Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter