May 14, 2018
Location: Guatemala, country-wide.
Event: Continued heavy rainfall is affecting road conditions and could lead to landslides and flooding throughout Guatemala. According to the Government of Guatemala, these conditions signal the beginning of the rainy season.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid traveling while heavy rains occur as roads can quickly become extremely unsafe.
- Check the news and weather forecasts regularly over the coming months, particularly after the start of the Atlantic and Pacific Hurricane seasons.
- Seek secure shelter during inclement weather.
- Visit CONRED (Coordinadora Nacional para la Reducción de Desastres) and INSIVUMEH (Instituto Nacional de Sismología, Vulcanología, Meteorología e Hidrología) websites for updated weather and hazard information.
- Applications that provide directions and traffic and route suggestions should be used with caution as certain detours or alternate routes from main roads and highways can lead you to unsafe areas or roads affected by flooding or landslides.
- U.S. Embassy Guatemala City https://gt.usembassy.gov/
Tel (502) 2326-4000
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Guatemala Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter