An official website of the United States government

Work Permits
January 29, 2018

Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

The Labor Ministry issues work permits to foreigners in Guatemala in the following categories:
1. Foreign residents who have a Guatemalan spouse or Guatemalan children. The following are the requirements for applicants in this category:

  • Written offer of employment
  • Photocopy of the applicant’s residency visa or temporary visa (or documents showing such visas have been applied for)
  • Police records
  • Children’s birth certificate
  • Marriage certificate
  • Written request addressed to the Ministry of Labor

2. Resident foreigners who do not have a Guatemalan spouse or children:

  • Applicants should request the work permit form at the Ministry of Labor. The prospective employer has the responsibility to submit the application.

Once all documents are presented to the Ministry of Labor, work permits are usually granted to eligible foreigners within 15-20 days.
The Ministry of Labor is located at:

7ª. Avenida 3-33, Zona 9
3er. Nivel, Edif. Torre Empresarial
Oficina de permiso para extranjeros
Tel. 2422-2538